29 May 2009

UGH

I have been dreading posting this blog...the update to the fundraiser. Bottom line is there was not a fundraiser. Without going into to too much "she said, she told me" kind of stuff...what was suppose to transpire did not. There was a definite lack of communication on one of the sides of the team, and it basically broke down from there. I am very glad that I had not fronted any money and in the end remained even instead of in the hole. Which for a bit there I really thought I was going to end up in the red. If that had been the case then I would have been really angry.
It was all pretty disappointing, but I learned some lessons throughout the process which I will take with me on my journeys.
Although, it was a wonderful thing to have someone offer to set up the fundraiser...make sure you check references and request proof of previous work completed. Don't be afraid to ask. I didn't ask because I thought that would be rude. I didn't ask because I believed the hype so whole heartily I would never have thought it wouldn't come together.
Remember that not every thing marketed as "free" is truly free. Consider the time, the stress, the anxiety, LISTEN TO YOUR GUT, etc...that may play into it the entire scenario.
Weigh your options! Had I known/remembered the above 2 recommendations, I would have cancelled the fundraiser at the time we postponed it. Every part of me and some friends were telling me to say "thank you" and walk away. I didn't. I wanted to believe more time would fix it. My instincts were screaming SUCKER!
Again, I am not mad just really disappointed. But I have to remember I can only be responsible for myself, my own decisions and my own actions. I made the mistake to not walk away sooner rather than later. My only regret is I could have used that time and energy to put into something else. I can't change any of it...only learn from it.

BTW, I can't remember if I ever updated on the garage sale...well, that didn't happen either. BUT instead I took a ton of stuff to Buffalo Exchange and Plato's Closet and made a lot more than I would have at a garage sale. $110 total, so far. I am continuing to clean out the closets and the rest of the house looking for things to sell.

No comments:

Post a Comment