22 April 2009

Shots, Shots, Pills and more Shots

I had no idea how expensive all the shots and pills were going to be. And of course, to make it even more fun my doctor does not distribute any vaccinations. My doctor's office referred me to the local vaccination hoarder office. Word on the street is there are only 5 offices in all of Phoenix area. At least I know where to go if any sort of epidemic breaks out in good ol' PHX.
I arrived early for my appointment, so I sat in the tiny lobby and read an article on how to have fabulous hair. I can't remember any of the tips it gave out.
The lobby is roasting hot, and it being the 1st 100 degree day may I say it was pleasant.
Yellow fever vaccination was the most expensive single shot at $115.
Adult polio vaccination was $50
Hepatitis A is a serious of 2 shots and each is $75.
Hepatitis B (this is the one that made me feel like my shoulder was ripping out of it's socket) is a lovely serious of 3 shots at $80 each. Can't wait to go back for 2 more of these.
I opted for the Typhoid pill form vs. the shot. It is 4 pills; one taken every other day. The pill form is suppose to last a few years longer than the shot.
And most important, I received my script for my malaria pills and a script for anti-diarrhea medicine. I think I am more concerned about getting diarrhea than anything else.
I opted against the 3 x $285 rabies shots. I figure if I get bit by something in Rwanda I will have most likely lost a limb or two and maybe some important organs. At that point, rabies would be the least of my worries. Plus I am not going to be in any areas with a high risk for contact with wild animals.
I handed over my debit card to put another dent in my severance package. The vaccination place doesn't bill insurance, so now I get to file a claim to see what or if they may pay for. I wonder how long this will take?

I feel one step closer.

I also got an email from Justus in Rwanda. He included 5 email addresses, and I am assuming those are the other volunteers that will be there in August. I emailed them all to introduce myself and to ask if any of them wanted to travel together on the weekends. One of the ladies emailed me back and said yes. I am really excited about that. Now I know I won't need to travel solo while exploring.
Justus said he is onboard with the Read To Me program, he will set me up with a gorilla trek group and there was something else but I have forgotten at the moment.

Tomorrow is a meeting with Natasha to keep the fundraiser on schedule. And I will be finalizing the Hello Rwanda Children's Campaign letter. I should probably update my resume too. I don't think I will make it much longer as a retiree. I am getting a little bored and now that it is getting too hot outside there are limited things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment